Dates & deadlines for active participants to bear in mind before the Counter Nature(s) symposium
31 August 2009
• Lodging notification date. The cost of lodging for speakers who are not based locally will be borne by the institutional sponsors of the symposium (the Department of English and CEMUS, Uppsala University, as supported primarily by The Bank of Sweden Tercentenary Foundation). Notify the principal organizer, Steven Hartman, by email* if you need lodging** during the symposium. Please be sure to specify the number of nights for which you will need lodging during the event, from Thursday night 19 November through Sunday night 22 November.
• Symposium registration period begins (look for a downloadable registration form on this website from the last week of August onward). See the official registration form for payment instructions.
• Notification date for those requesting financial assistance with transportation costs. While all researchers are expected to pay their own transportation costs, some very limited funds may be available to assist participating researchers with significant transportation costs and no travel financing. Notify Steven Hartman by email* if you lack means to cover the cost of transportation to the symposium.*** We will look into whether any partial relief can be arranged on a case-by-case basis at the very beginning of September. Please bear in mind that since the symposium now considerably exceeds the scope of the event as originally conceived we are in no position to guarantee aid for transportation.
5 October 2009
• Last date to submit symposium registration form at standard cost: 900 SEK/$110 US**** (the registration form, which includes payment instructions, will be downloadable from this website from late August onward).
• Last date speakers can withdraw from symposium without assuming personal liability for lodging cancellation costs**.
• Revised abstracts and bios from researchers presenting papers are due for inclusion in the official Counter Nature(s) program & booklet. For more information please see the “Counter Nature(s) Presentation Guidelines” available for download on this webpage.
6 October 2009
• Late registration period begins (late registration fee: 1200 SEK/$150 US****). See the official registration form for payment instructions.
15 October 2009
• User names and passwords issued to symposium speakers for access to the Counter Nature(s) secure server.
31 October 2009
• Last date for registred participants to notify Steven Hartman in writing if they wish to receive a payment waiver for their registration fee.
• Deadline for electronic submission of advanced paper drafts to the symposium’s secure server. For more info please see “Counter Nature(s) Presentation Guidelines” available for download on this website.
15 November 2009
• Late registration period ends (late registration fee: 1200 SEK/$150 US****).
20-22 November 2009
• Counter Nature(s) symposium, Uppsala University.
** Lodging costs (approximately 2200 SEK/$275 US for 3 nights or 3000 SEK/$375 US for 4 nights according to exchange rates on 22 June 2009) are to be covered for all symposium speakers in need of lodging. However, if a speaker withdraws from the conference after 5 October, he/she will be asked to stand for the cancellation fee, which amounts to 75% of the booked room costs (i.e. 1650 SEK for three nights or 2250 SEK for four nights).
*** Be advised that all participants, with the exception of the keynote speakers, are responsible for making their own travel arrangements, including ticket bookings and purchases and provisions for local transportation in the Stockholm-Uppsala region. Information on local transportation options between Stockholm Arlanda Airport/Uppsala Central Railway Station and Akademihotellet (http://www.akademihotellet.uu.se/) at Uppsala University will be posted on this website in late August 2009.
**** The registration fee is to be applied to the cost of the symposium banquet, as well as to the cost of meals and snacks/refreshments as specified in the conference program, though this fee will cover only a portion of these costs (the remaining portion to be covered by the symposium’s institutional sponsors). Only those who have paid their fees during the official registration process—whether active participants presenting papers or auditing participants—are authorized to take part in meals, snack breaks and the symposium banquet. All research sessions at the symposium—both keynote lectures and paper workshops—are otherwise free and open to the public.